Source: Kia announcement
IRVINE, Calif. — As Kia’s longest running nameplate which pioneered its segment, the Sportage undergoes its most significant change to date as the fifth generation is unveiled. Developed as part of Kia’s new global brand transformation, “Movement that Inspires,” the all-new 2023 Sportage subcompact SUV delivers more of everything for today’s savvy, adventurous and eco-conscious consumers.
In addition to changes throughout the redesigned, reengineered vehicle are a host of advanced driver-assist systems (ADAS) both standard and option throughout the range.
Inspiring Driver Confidence with Advanced Driver Assistance
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW): Analyzes the driver’s attention level and provides a warning if a break is recommended. It may also provide a leading vehicle departure alert, if the leading vehicle departs from a stop and the driver does not react within a certain time period.
- LED Headlights with High Beam Assist (HBA): Engineered to automatically dim the headlights when an oncoming or leading vehicle is detected, then return to high beams when vehicles are no longer detected
- Lane Following Assist (LFA): Helps detect lane markings and vehicles ahead and provides steering inputs to help center the vehicle in the lane
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA): Helps detect lane markings and provides steering inputs to help prevent the vehicle from leaving the lane while driving
- Forward Collision Avoidance (FCA) with Cyclist detection capability: Warns if there is risk of a collision with a vehicle, pedestrian, or cyclist in front of the vehicle while driving and may automatically assist with braking
- Rear View Monitor (RVM) with Dynamic Parking Guidance: Provides view of behind the vehicle, with guidelines that adjust to follow the direction the vehicle is turning
- Reverse Parking Distance Warning (PDW-R): Detects certain objects behind the vehicle, issuing an audible warning when an obstruction is detected. The warning tone chimes faster as the vehicle gets closer to the detected object
Optional Sportage Advanced Driver Assistance Systems:
- Blind-Spot View Monitor (BVM): Projects live video view of adjacent lanes in the instrument cluster when activated via the turn signal
- Blind Spot Collision Avoidance-Assist (BCA): May help avoid a collision with rear-side vehicles when changing lanes
- Blind Spot Collision Avoidance (BCA) with Parallel Exit: May help avoid collisions with rear-side vehicles when exiting parallel parking spot by automatically assisting with braking
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Avoidance-Assist (RCCA): Helps detect approaching cross traffic when in reverse. When approaching cross traffic is detected, the system alerts the driver and may apply brakes
- Forward Collision Avoidance (FCA) with Junction Turning capability: Helps avoid collisions with an oncoming vehicle while turning left at an intersection
- Forward Parking Distance Warning (PDW-F): Detects certain objects in front of the vehicle, issuing an audible warning when an obstruction is detected. The warning tone chimes faster as the vehicle gets closer to the detected object
- Highway Driving Assist (HDA)24: Uses federal highway speed limit information from the navigation system and, under certain conditions, will automatically adjust speed to be within the posted speed limit and maintain distance with the vehicle detected in front and helps center the vehicle in the lane
- Intelligent Speed Limit Assist (ISLA): Uses speed limit information detected through the front camera or GPS navigation information (when activated) and issues warning if the speed is over the speed limit
- Navigation-based Smart Cruise Control-Curve (NSCC-C): Leverages the navigation system to help lower the vehicle’s speed proactively before upcoming curves
- Navigation-based Smart Cruise Control-Zone (NSCC-Z): Leverages the navigation system to help lower the vehicle’s speed proactively before upcoming changes in speed limits
- Reverse Parking Collision Avoidance (PCA-R): May help avoid collisions with rear pedestrians or objects detected during reverse parking, potentially automatically assisting with emergency braking if the risk of a collision increases after warning
- Safe Exit Warning (SEW)25: Provides a warning when a vehicle is approaching from the rear-side while someone is exiting the vehicle
- Smart Cruise Control (SCC) with Stop and Go: Helps maintain distance from the vehicle ahead and drive at a speed set by the driver, including in certain stop-and-go driving conditions
To view the entire Kia announcement, with more extensive information about the Sportage line, and additional images and videos, click HERE.