Shaping tomorrow’s transportation. Together. In line with this motto, Knorr-Bremse, the leading manufacturer of braking and safety technology and supplier of system solutions for rail and commercial vehicles, will be presenting new products and solutions at the commercial vehicle industry’s premier events, IAA Commercial Vehicles and Automechanika, in September.
As Dr. Peter Laier, Member of the Executive Board of Knorr-Bremse AG responsible for the Commercial Vehicle Systems division explains: “Along with traffic safety, in the next few years, the megatrends that shape the mobility sector will be emissions reduction, electric mobility, automated driving and connectivity. Against this backdrop, Knorr-Bremse will be the ideal systems partner for its customers going forward. We will be presenting our portfolio of products and services at the commercial vehicle industry’s key trade fairs – IAA and Automechanika – in September, including pioneering traffic safety technologies and automated transportation solutions for highway and city applications.”
Knorr-Bremse at the IAA Commercial Vehicles show
On its booth at the IAA, Knorr-Bremse will be giving its two new generations of disc brakes their first public airing: the SYNACT® two-piston brake for tractor vehicles and the NEXTT single-piston brake for tractor vehicles with low axle loads and for trailers. The company’s next-generation Global Scalable Brake Control (GSBC) system will also be on show at the IAA. Along with the modular construction that provides our customers with maximum flexibility when installing ABS and EBS applications, GSBC will form the integration platform for a whole array of automated driving functions. Together with Knorr-Bremse’s portfolio of steering systems, this makes GSBC a key module in the realization of automated driving in the commercial vehicle sector.
Knorr-Bremse will be demonstrating its system solutions for automated driving functions in the New Mobility World Live outdoor arena. Here, the Knorr-Bremse booth will be given over entirely to solutions for semitrailers and trailers, along with the TruckServices offering for the aftermarket. The main focus here will be on brake control and chassis management by means of new-generation (G3) Trailer EBS, the entire wheelend portfolio, and trailer re-mote control with iTAP, the intelligent Trailer Access Point with new functions including a user-friendly mobile app. Also on show will be the EconX range of products remanufactured to original equipment standards.
The innovations showcased by Knorr-Bremse at the IAA will be grouped around four main topics that correspond to the megatrends of the industry:
- Traffic safety and reducing accidents: Along with the new generations of disc brakes, the Automatic Emergency Braking System and Blind Spot Assistant are important functions for reducing accidents and will therefore have a positive impact on traffic safety. In addition, the link between steering and braking systems will play a decisive role going forward. The smart interaction of all the sub-components in the vehicle not only clears the way for new safety-related functions but also opens up major potential synergies that can make a real contribution to improving the total cost of ownership.
- Connectivity: Knorr-Bremse’s ProFleet Connect connectivity solution is a modular and cross-brand telematics system for optimized fleet management and greater active safety, which also facilitates driver training and more efficient diagnostics and maintenance. ProFleet Connect can be adapted to suit specific customer requirements and is designed for both the tractor unit and the trailer.
- Emission reduction and e-mobility: Here, Knorr-Bremse will be presenting a variety of electrically controlled components such as electric actuators for engine air management or the new generation of the electrically powered screw-type compressor. Another high-light will be the company’s high-performance In-Motion-Charging solution for electric vehicles. But pneumatic solutions including a new and extremely efficient clutch actuator will also be on show.
- Automated driving: In the outdoor arena at the IAA, Knorr-Bremse will be demonstrating a prototype truck that can drive sections of the route on motorways/freeways fully autonomously, including overtaking maneuvers. Following on from the initial sensor system in 2014 that combined radar and video data to boost the precision of the Automated Emergency Braking System, and the fully autonomous Yard Maneuvering vehicle in 2016, the latest 2018 prototype brings up another milestone for Knorr-Bremse on the road to highly automated driving (HAD). The key expertise here is in understanding commercial vehicle dynamics, a capability that Knorr-Bremse demonstrates every day through millions of ABS, EBS, ESP, Emergency Braking and Lane Keeping systems in the field.At the Knorr-Bremse booth, along with the components required for driver assistance systems (DAS) and automated driving, the company will be presenting redundancy concepts for HAD that deliver a unique combination of functionality and safety with cost-effectiveness. When the vehicle takes control, the systems must be designed in such a way that the vehicle cannot run out of control even if safety-critical components fail. Although this makes redundancy concepts a necessity, simply doubling up components makes no economic sense and is not necessary in practical terms, as the necessary redundancy can be demonstrated by linking the systems intelligently without duplicating the components. A state-of-the-art braking system, for example, can reliably replace even the electric superimposed steering system by acting on individual wheels.
In all innovations related to the megatrends, Knorr-Bremse develops its systems in close collaboration with its customers, delivering solutions that resolve the economic and ecological challenges that customers face. In this way, Knorr-Bremse, vehicle manufacturers and fleet operators are together taking another step toward the vision of efficient and accident-free transportation of passengers and goods.
Knorr-Bremse TruckServices at Automechanika
At the Automechanika fair, which this year takes place for the 25th time in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, Knorr-Bremse will be represented by its aftermarket brand TruckServices. True to its Lifetime Efficiency principle, Knorr-Bremse TruckServices will be presenting an expanded portfolio that enables workshops, distributors and fleet managers to keep vehicles on the road economically in line with their age and type.
The innovations on show cover the following areas:
- Genuine New: Innovative service concepts for cost-effective repair and replacement support the best possible value retention for the vehicle.
- EconX: Through the continuous expansion of its range of remanufactured products, Knorr-Bremse can offer an extensive array of sustainable solutions for the value-based repair and maintenance of older vehicles.
- Service Parts: This range of service kits and wear parts facilitates cost-effective, safe and reliable service for vehicles of all ages.
- Services: Along with its familiar service offering, including training, documentation and a hotline, TruckServices is offering a number of attractive innovations through its ProFleet Connect telematics solution and its revised partner program TruckServices Expert Network.
At the IAA Commercial Vehicles show in Hanover from September 20-27, Knorr-Bremse can be found on booth A30 in hall 17 and in outdoor area D103 – D107. At the Automechanika fair in Frankfurt and Main from September 11-15, Knorr-Bremse will be on booth 91 and booth 98 in hall 3.0.