CVSA Releases 2022 International Roadcheck Results

Sign up for our weekly email to stay on top of the latest news and insights!

Source: Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance announcement

GREEENBELT, Md. — During the three days of the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance’s (CVSA) International Roadcheck commercial motor vehicle inspection and enforcement initiative, CVSA-certified inspectors conducted 59,026 inspections and placed 12,456 commercial motor vehicles and 3,714 commercial motor vehicle drivers out of service.

A commercial motor vehicle is placed out of service when an inspector finds critical vehicle inspection item out-of-service violations, which are outlined in CVSA’s North American Standard Out-of-Service Criteria, during a roadside inspection. Being placed out of service means the driver or vehicle is prohibited from operation for a specified period of time or until the violation is corrected.

Top Five Vehicle Out-of-Service Violations Combined (Canada, Mexico and the U.S.)

Violation Category# of OOS Vehicle Violations% of OOS Vehicle Violations
Brake Systems4,59225.2%
Defective Service Brakes2,30912.7%
Cargo Securement1,93410.6%

Focus Area – Wheel Ends

Each year, CVSA highlights a certain aspect of the roadside inspection. This year, the focus was on wheel ends. Out of the top 10 vehicle out-of-service violations, tires ranked second and wheels came in seventh.

Of the 18,213 total vehicle out-of-service violations, there were 3,374 tire out-of-service violations, accounting for 18.5 percent of all vehicle out-of-service violations, and there were 784 wheel out-of-service violations, which is 4.3 percent of all vehicle out-of-service violations. Combined, wheel end (tire and wheel) violations accounted for 22.8 percent of all out-of-service vehicle violations throughout North America.

This year, inspectors in Canada and the U.S. conducted 36,555 Level I Inspections and inspectors in Mexico conducted 1,150 Level V Inspections, for a combined total of 37,705 Level I and V Inspections.

They placed 8,718 vehicles out of service, which is a 23.1 percent vehicle out-of-service rate for North America. Out of the 48,966 Level I and II Inspections conducted in Canada and the U.S., 11,181 vehicles were placed out of service, which is a 22.8 percent vehicle out-of-service rate, and 3,118 drivers were placed out of service, which is a 6.4 percent driver out-of-service rate.

That also means that 77.2 percent of the vehicles and 93.6 percent of the drivers inspected did not have out-of-service violations. Vehicles that do not have any critical vehicle inspection item violations, after a Level I or V Inspection, are eligible to receive a CVSA decal.

The CVSA decal, valid for up to three consecutive months after inspection, is a visual indicator that signals to inspectors that the vehicle has “passed inspection.” Inspectors distributed 14,200 CVSA decals, which were placed on 10,135 power units, 3,876 trailers and 189 motorcoaches.

All Inspection Levels

On May 17-19, inspectors conducted a total of 58,287 North American Standard Inspections, which consisted of:

36,555 Level I Inspections – This 37-step process checks the driver’s operating credentials and requirements and the vehicle’s mechanical fitness and regulatory compliance.

12,411 Level II Inspections – This inspection involves reviewing the driver’s operating credentials and requirements and includes only vehicle inspection items that can be inspected without the inspector physically getting under the vehicle.

Sign up for our weekly email to stay on top of the latest news and insights!

8,171 Level III Inspections – This is the driver credentials and operating requirements inspection.

1,150 Level V Inspections – This inspection involves vehicle inspection items and may be conducted without a driver present, at any location.

To view the entire announcement, click HERE.

The Brake Report
The Brake Report

The BRAKE Report is an online media platform dedicated to the automotive and commercial vehicle brake segments. Our mission is to provide the global brake community with the latest news & headlines from around the industry.